Monday, September 29, 2008

I whine because that's what I do.

Today I was chatting on the phone with a friend. We were discussing whether or not she was whiny. She has experienced some turbulence in her life recently and has been trying to share her feelings without sounding whiny. Is it possible to complain, without whining? I have been contemplating this. I complain about my children, but I am thankful to have them. I whine to any one that will listen about my latest upset. What is the difference? Why do I whine? The other night I had a tender moment that I have considered sharing. My 3 year old niece stayed with us for about 10 days. She was excellent! I did not realize that 3 years old could listen and do as they are told until she was here. Anyhow, every night we did our "bedtime routine" and got everyone bathed and dressed for bed. I was gathering the wet towels and lotion to put away, when one by one each of the kids gave me a kiss on the cheek. As I walked away, I could feel the wetness that they had left behind. Now, normally I would have some snide comment about slobbery slime or something like that. As I felt that wetness, I was suddenly glad that I was a mom and glad that someone wanted to kiss me goodnight. Strange I know, given all the whining I do, but I really am glad to be a mom. Over the last year, I have noticed my maternal instincts kicking in (yes I realize that my oldest will be seven years soon, better late than never right?) and I have felt closer to not only my children but other children as well. I love it when my friends kids are happy to see me. It makes me feel so good.

Why when I have all these wonderful experiences do I whine about life? Because it is what I do. I whine, I complain, I bitch, I moan. It is not my favorite part of my personality. In fact, it is probably one of my worst traits.

I want to know, who likes to whine? What do you have to complain about? What is really bugging you today? Today, I hate doing dishes. Not having a dishwasher is really grating on my nerves. I am complaining because I can. What about you?

11 comments:

Linds said...

It's funny that you bring this up becauses lately more than ever I have been whining. My life right now is too in a bit of turmoil and I find myself whining about it daily. Not saleing our house in cleveland, not getting pregnant, not liking my job too much. etc... I don't enjoy it, in fact it bothers me cuz I used to be somewhat positive about all life situations. So I too am a whiner, hopefully it will end soon!!

Gel said...

I just wrote a comment and my stupid computer froze! Talk about whining! Anyway I think it's a normal mom thing to complain. It's hard work! Just vent and move on. And you ARE a good mom. You are so funny. By the way still totally jealous that you have a big toy room!

Janey and Jill said...

OMG! Hi Miss Lydia! I'm Angie T's friend from Manti and Brooke Heath's roommate from Snow. I just saw your comment on Brooke's blog and clicked to yours.

I love what you said here! The ironic thing is, I agree with you on every level about whining! I find myself focusing on the negative so much, especially lately. It's so weird. Anyway, just know you're not alone.

April said...

You know, there must be something in the air, or maybe a whining epidemic. I get so tired of hearing myself whining and complaining that I think I wouldn't want to be my own friend. But luckily I do have good people in my life that put up with me. Love ya Lyd!

Lisa said...

You are awesome! I love how down to earth you are. Everyone whines! I've never met anyone who didn't. The best is when the whining turns into a tantrum :)

Nonblond said...

We all do it every now and then. I guess it's good when we recognize we are whining...that means we still have control over it if we are aware of it. :)

carrie said...

Lydia, I think you are the funniest person EVER! I love what you wrote on Brooke's blog Godzilla post) I laughed out loud, I can totally picture you saying it, I love you!

Anonymous said...

Lyd, I LOVE reading your blog. You are always so crafty and know just how to place your words so that us readers actually feel what you are feeling!
You are a great mom! I think every great mom is entitled to their fair share of whining! We are the ones who get pooped on, peed on, snotted on, etc..... But the great thing about it is we are also the ones who get the kisses, the hugs, the "I want my mom" when NO ONE else will do, the " I love you's" and the sheer joy of knowing that one little person loves you and depends on you so much! Life is great!
On the other hand, I was ready to go out the door to do some shopping the other day when I picked up Braxton and he threw up the nastiest, chunkiest, curdled milk all down my entire outfit! I was pissed and did my fair share of whining too! Love you.

Lydia said...

Well, I was prepared to comment on everyone's comment but, alas, the words escape me. Strange coming from me, I know, but what can I do? Maybe some more whining is in order. Just teasing. Today is a non-whine day for me. I have graduated to major bitch mode. LOL

Nate said...

I am SOOOOO excited to find your blog!!! I have missed you!! Now I can stalk you daily!!! Love ya!!

Unknown said...

You wouldnt be jelous of me right now. Im sitting in this damn office trying to get caught up... The story of my freaking life. Not to mention I just got off the phone with Cindy, and she is still the craby old lady that you new... I promise, your life is probably alot less stressfull not living here. But I do miss you guys too. No one likes eating with us like you guys did. We just dont have the same relationship with people here like we did you guys...