Sunday, December 07, 2008

The fat girls unite

For most of my adult life I have been overweight. There is an acceptance process that one goes through when they become fat. First step is denial. People say things like, "I am just bloated." "It's just baby fat." "My clothes shrunk." Excuses can run the gamete. The second step is trying to hide it. Wearing sweats, t-shirts, baggy clothes. There are usually a few more steps in the middle including crash diets, yo-yo weight loss and gain. Some of the signs during this phase include, but are not limited to: tears for no reason other than the fact that the peanut butter is gone; bizarre of lame excuses for new bulges; uncharacteristic mood swings or personality changes. Exercising like a crazy person, only to lay on the couch for the week following said workout. Skipping the salad bar and heading straight to the desert table. This sign signifies that the cycle is almost complete and your loved one is about to become an official fatty. Well, lucky for me, I am way past that part. I have been official for quite some time now. Part of acceptance for me was buying plus sized clothing. This was the most difficult part of my transformation. There is an amazing thing that happens in department store when you move past the intimate apparel, through juniors, around misses, and into no mans land. The styles inevitably change. The clothing industry in general has been under the misguided notion that only 70 year old women are fat. You know the ones I am talking about. The lady with an embroidered leaf on her shirt, or maybe a picture of Tigger. Yeah, those women have it made. They can find clothes anywhere they please. But your average 20 something chubby has to look really hard. Imagine my delight when I find the one store that doesn't cater to old fat women. Lane Bryant. Glory be and hallelujah. I was so happy that I got a credit card. They have stylish clothes that are specifically designed for the horizontally challenged. It is amazing. Beautiful clothes for big beautiful girls. Wonderful. I was ecstatic, when I went shopping for new jeans a couple of weeks ago, to discover that my working out and eating healthy is finally paying off. I am currently wearing a size 4. Yup that's right. All 225 pounds of me fit into a size 4. Granted it is all tall, but still a size 4. After shopping, while eating my daily dose of chocolate I realized something. How can I wear a size 20 one day and a 4 the next? Oh, the manufactures of Lane Bryant clothing have redone the sizing. In an effort to make large women feel better, and desire to spend more money, they have claimed their own sizes. The fat girls united and claimed back the single digits. Move over skinny girls, I don't think there is enough room for both of us!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

LMAO LMAO LMAO...... Ho my hell can I say I am laughing my ass off one more time? Seriously that is great, I love it. Size 4 for us PHAT people, life doesnt get any better than that. I have a friend who continuely talks about working out, and loosing weight, and she is a size 2 in skinny people sizes, and I honestly think that she talks about it because she's concerned that Im PHAT:) But I think I am giving her anxiety because I dont care that I am over weight, and I dont work out... Oh how I wish you lived by me again. Im sick of people caring about what they look like when they are a size 2, it makes me want to eat a box of twinkies thinking about it....Come visit!!!Manti does play Delta on Wed.,but I might be working:(

Anonymous said...

You are so stinkin funny! I love to read your posts!

Linds said...

Seriously, you are hilarious. You are way way too hard on yourself. I saw you at the football game and would not say that you are FAT. I do give you props for being so openminded about it. More people need to be like you. Keep writing funny posts.

Gel said...

Lydia, you are so funny. I bet most skinny girls can't run a half marathon! You are amazing and just too hard on yourself. Congrats on the size 4 though. :)

Toby and Emily said...

I'm a fellow chub and I LOVE Lane Bryant. It's my fave!

Anonymous said...

In answer to your question, Jarrod works for our Sheriff Department and his sargeants told them to becareful with social networking because there are people who specifically seek out law enforcement. They recently had someone leave the jail with a hit list of all the deputies he was going to come after once he got out of prison. So that is the main reason. I know it's probably silly but better safe than sorry I guess.

Suzanne said...

Lydia, why are you the funniest person I know?! Seriously, why are you not a columnist?! And why do I find myself smirking durring serious parts of sacrament meeting at church thinking of one of your posts?! Love you so quick.

Suzanne said...

No really, I'm with Gel. Really. A half marathon. Sickening. Amazing woman over there!

Tiffany said...

You are so stinkin' funny! You should check out the store called Torrid. Check it out at torrid.com

They have way cute stuff in there!!!!