Monday, May 12, 2008

Music Monday

Today I would like everyone to go back in their minds to the fall of 1998. I was a senior at Delta High School, trying my best to enjoy life to the fullest. My best friend was Angelica Ward. We were practically inseparable. Stephen had just left to do his own thing. It was a Saturday night, the exact date escapes me. Angelica and I were restless. We wanted to do something crazy. Lucky for us we had Sarah Cross to grace our existence. She is one crazy broad, and I loved her for it. Sarah has always been a bit eccentric. She always had the most exciting ideas of fun. Some were good and some not so good for any of us. Well, this particular Saturday night she was at her best. The three of us got all dressed up in our best formal dresses. Annie Draper made us the most beautiful corsages made from marigold flowers. Marigolds? Yes, they are not the typical orchid, they are not part of the Orchidaceae family at all. But they were all we had. So there we were, three hot chicks dressed to kill. We got in my little 1982 mercury lynx with faux wood paneling and drove the 45 minute drive to Fillmore, Utah. Their high school was having the annual homecoming dance. It was a formal dance, and we just happened to be dressed for the occasion. The dance was held in the gym and every song played was a slow, nice, dance close to your boyfriend song. Well, we requested "Gettin Jiggy With it" from Will Smith. The dance floor cleared and the three of us took the floor. It was hilarious. I loved it. Every time I hear this song, I think of my date with Angelica and Sarah and how we ripped up the floor. I tried to find the picture that goes with this blog, but my scanner isn't working. Ah good times!

11 comments:

Gel said...

I think that I was out of my mind back then. I look back at some of the stuff that we did and I am surprised at myself. Some of it was totally embarrassing. Remember when we danced in the vacant parking lot that night at Snow College. We attracted the attention of Snow College security. :) Good times.

Lydia said...

Yeah, the good ol' days when I never got embarrassed.

brookiebaby said...

Ahh...that flashed me back to our senior year! I wish with every morsel of my being that I would have been there to witness you three dancing to Gettin Jiggy! I'm sure it was unforgettable! I love that song!!!! FYI, Will Smith is Ryan's IDOL!!! He seriously thinks he's wonderful!!
LUVS!!!!

Gel said...

Why didn't Annie go with us? I can't remember. I am getting old.

Lydia said...

Her dad wouldn't let her. It was rude and disrespectful to crash another school's dance. It is funny to think that we were bad influences. We never did anything wrong, at that point in life. ;)

Claire said...

Hey Lydia, I found your blog through Jill's website. Just wanted to say hi!

Phil and Sami Carter said...

That is hilarious! Sarah Cross always was so much fun. It sounds like you guys had some fun times!

C & E said...

I laughed out loud reading this! It sounds fun!

brookiebaby said...

Lyd, i miss ya! Hope you're doing good! Give me a call sometime!
LUVS!

The Wright's said...

OH MY GOSH, that story was so funny!!! I can't believe that you did that, that is a classic. Thanks for the laugh!!!

Kimberly said...

It's so fun to hear about people you know and their adventures that you never knew about. If you can believe it, I climbed on top of the middle school with Suzie Wright and had to run for it when the cops spotted us.