Saturday, May 31, 2008

Car Wash

I have always loved driving my car through the car wash. When I was little, my dad would fuel up at the Chevron in East Bay on University Ave. It has a car wash on site. Big blue flaps of material hitting wildly against the car, pushing it side to side threatening to tip the beast, but it never did. I used to hold my breath thinking each time that this would be the one that defied all others. This would be the exact moment that our car would be knocked to it side killing all occupants. (A little dramatic, I realize this, I was maybe 10, give me a break.)
Well, when I was about 19 or 20, Ephraim got their first automatic touchless car wash. Yeah, sure they had car washes before this, but I was thrilled. A car is driven into the bay and cleaned with sprays of water only. It is amazing! The splish splash car wash is particularly wonderful, because it's foam is multi-colored (Mind blowing, I know!) and sprays uniformly across the windows. When the boys were little we went to this wash about once a week. It was like getting a pedicure for the car.

As life has continued on for our family I have come to see that it is a bit frivolous to wash my car at the car wash each week. I have all the equipment at home, not that I use it. Anyhow, sometimes I decide that it will be a nice adventure for the day to go through our local car wash. (Still picaresque.) The other day was one of these magnificent days. Bentley and Remi had both fallen asleep leaving only Hunter and I to enjoy the experience. I recently purchased a Hey Tom duster from flylady.net. It is wonderful. I dusted the front dash board and the passenger seat. Hunter wiped the back seats down and started to clean the above console. I took the duster from him, so that he wouldn't wipe it on the ceiling. I wiped over the compartment containing my favorite sunglasses, the duster clinging to dirty fingerprints and dust like a magnet. I moved the duster forward in one swift motion to complete the job. As I pulled the duster down I heard the passenger back door open. Oh No, I thought, I didn't. Oh yes, I did. I had hit the button opening the back door. "Idiot!" I thought. Lucky for me the water had just passed her door and I closed it allowing only a fine mist to enter my car. As the door closed I could hear that the water was still whooshing as loud as it had before. I looked over my left shoulder to see the other door open. *^%$! I quickly pushed the button to safely close this door. It would close without incident just as before. As this thought crossed my mind I saw the door slowly closing and realized with horror that the water was quickly making it's way to our open door. Tie goes the runner I saw as water sprayed into my car soaking my arm that I had thrown protectively back, (like my arm is going to keep gallons of forceful water out of my car.) I screamed, Hunter screamed, Bentley woke up, and Remi slept. I laughed and laughed. It was hysterical. Hunter said, "That was awesome!" Lucky for my Bentley, she was mostly covered and only got a little wet. We definitely got our money's worth out of this inside/out car wash.

5 comments:

brookiebaby said...

Oh honey, what an ordeal! But, I couldn't help by crack up! :) I know this is horrible, but that hand picture made me think of the sex scene from Titanic in the little buggy when she puts her hand on the glass! :) I'm gross, I know! :) I miss ya! We need a June outing! :)

Lydia said...

Brooke, that is funny. I thought of the sex scene from Ali McBeal where she does it with some guy in a car wash. This was obviously farse. The water at our car wash was FREEZING! I wouldn't be gettin naked in it for anything, not even a hot guy!

Unknown said...

yeah, so I did that with our suburban when we were test driving it last summer. We thought the sun roof was closed, but it wasnt, and we had no idea how to get it closed once the gallons of water was coming in... We had to just let it come in, and we kept making it worse by trying to close it. Fred kept pushing the button the wrong way. It was hilarious, and I laughed so hard. Fred's Uncle from hawaii was sitting in the back seat, and speaks no english. He was swearing at Fred in Tongan, saying what in the hell are you laughing for? You are soaking wet, and this is not your car yet... So Im glad were not the only idiots that dont know that the automatic car wash is for the outside of your car not the inside... How funny. I bet Hunter thought you were awesome....

brookiebaby said...

You're so nice to offer to help sell my dresses, but I could never burden you with worrying about that on top of all of your daily responsibilities! That's the least of your worries! :) Thanks for the offer. I have tried several times listing them on KSL, and have had a few calls, but nothing turned out, so I will try the local papers too, I just figured I'd take full advantage of free internet listing! :) WE had so much fun last night! I loved watching Ryan and sweet Bentley!

Tiffany said...

I can picture the whole thing . . . . ha ha ha ha. :)