Monday, May 05, 2008

Music Monday

Brooke started a tag on music. I think this is a wonderful idea. Music defines so many different situations in life. Think of all of the music we have running all around us each day. Commercials, television programs, movies, stores, the car, it is everywhere. I am surprised that the refrigerator doesn't play music when the door is opened. I always have a song playing in my head, kind of like Homer Simpson.

There are few things that bind us together in commonality. With the exception of the crazy cults that might not allow any kind of music, most people across the world listen to some form of music. Try and name five things that humanity in general has in common. I am willing to bet my morning doughnut that music would be one of them. Music speaks to the soul. It inspires, it leads, it angers, it softens. It has the ability to conjure any emotion desired with it's beat, words, and melody.

The song I would like to discuss from my blog today is Depeche Mode's "Somebody." This has to be one of the cheesiest songs I can think of. I first heard it when I was in college. My roommate and friend (there is a definite distinction) Jill Farnsworth, now Jill Norris, knew all the words. We would call the college radio station every two hours, when they switched the DJ, and request it. She would stand on the couch and sing it to the roommates like she was giving a concert. Jill is the type of person that can light up the darkest room. I can't think of anyone that doesn't like to be around her. It was so much fun. Every time I hear this song, I think of her and how much I envied the happiness the radiated from inside of her. It makes me smile.

If there are any of you that don't read Brooke blog, which I can't imagine because she is a wonderful writer, I have copied and pasted part of her post that includes Music Monday:

"Therefore, I am hereby announcing that Monday will now be (drum roll.....) "Music Monday" (catchy, huh?) A lot of you have music on your blogs, so I'm tagging everyone who reads this (no one is left out!) to write a post about one of the songs on your blog each Monday. It can simply say why you like it, etc. Or it can be about how you had your first kiss to the song, blah, blah. Even if you don't have music on your blog, you can still write about songs you like. Anyway, I am doing it, so that I will have a tag to do :) Sooooo...EVERYONE, TAG, YOU'RE IT! :)"

Brooke, I hope that this is okay with you. I don't have the brain power to reword it.

TAG!

2 comments:

brookiebaby said...

I just KNEW that I could count on you to do my tag! :) You're the greatest! You seriously are SUCH an elliquent writer! You really should look into freelancing! You'll love it! It gives some extra cash, and lets you use your talents! Just a thought! But you really are deep! LOVE it! Thanks for the tag support! Ha Ha!!! Love ya girl! I'm soooo looking forward to Friday!

Anonymous said...

I challenge Lydia to tell what song was playing when she had her first kiss?