Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Warning: Highly Flammable!

Have you ever really looked at a package of tortillas? I have been examining ours to find the warning label about tortillas being a flammable material. I am considering writing the Mission Tortilla company and requesting that people be warned. Caution!!! Highly flammable material. Do not expose directly to the microwave for longer than 5 minutes. Do not throw into a heat source for too long. It will start on fire!

A couple of crucial points to this tale. 1. We live right next to my parents. 2. Next to corndogs, tortillas are a main staple in our family. 3. I always heat them up for about 15 seconds to make them easier to roll.

The other day, I ran over to my dads house to grab sometime that now is completely unremembered. I left Remi home watching the television. He is, after all, almost 4 years old. I was running 20 feet away, no big deal. My dad engaged me in some sort of distracting conversation. (Yes, I am blaming him, it is a lot easier.) I returned home to find smoke billowing out of my closed front door. Hysterical, thinking that our possessed computer had finally exploded, I ran into the house. I found Remi standing in front of the microwave in a hypnotic trance. The microwave was running. It said 18:24. I have no idea how long it had been running but smoke filled my entire house. I shut it off and turned around expecting my sweet little 3 year old to be scared watching all the smoke. He, still in a trance says, "Mom, when you put tortillas in the microwave for a loooonnnng (stretching his arms wide for effect) time, it makes fire. Fire makes smoke. It is awesome!" Awesome? Are you kidding me? I have tried everything to get the smell of burnt tortillas and cinnamon (I boiled a bowl of cinnamon water for 10 minute increments for about 40 minutes. Not my finest moment.) out of my microwave. Rather than take responsibility for my actions, or lack there of, by leaving a toddler unattended, I have decided that it is the Mission Tortilla company that needs to be punished for the smell and taste I have endured for 3 weeks. They need to warn everyone. Tortillas are highly flammable. Now you know.

7 comments:

Gel said...

Never a dull moment is there?!?

Anonymous said...

I'm with Remi. That is awesome. Totally awesome.

You must be one of those uptight anti-fire mothers.

Tiffany said...

I am glad your microwave didn't explode with the innocent 4 year old standing in front of it. I am sure he is fond of his head! Ha Ha.

Oh lydia! I miss you.

Kim said...

If it makes you feel any better I did the exact same thing with Katelyn's Easy Bake Oven, I completely forgot her little brownies were cooking away and I got talking to my neighbor and an hour later the girls yelled the house was on fire and literally the little oven was melting itself! Nothing like the burnt smell of plastic and brownies! You get use to the smell eventually.

strickland party of six said...

Wow I do that all the time but in our oven I always turn it on and them a few min later smell this nasty smell and then relize something is burning in the oven! And my kids are always so mad that I made the house stink AGAIN!!! lol

AHH well anyway I dont think you are werid because you left a comment right after I posted and I do spend all day on the computer just ask my husband! LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! That is so so funny! I can just see Remi doing it. How do you survive somtimes??? The scary thing is I see Braxton heading down that same mischievous path!!! I will be making some calls to you in the near future asking "what the heck do I do???" You are great. I miss you and love you!!!

Anonymous said...

i just wana say that i googled 'tortillas flammable' because this morning i put one in the toaster oven to toast which i have done before with no problems but this time it literally just burst into flames almost like spontaneous combustion with the 'whoosh' sound that u hear when something burst into flames...lol.. almost had a big fire but luckily it died down as i kept the mini oven closed. The tortillas were pretty old, about many months old. this almost makes me wanna buy a fire extinguisher just in case something like this happens again...